My life in Syria

My journey to a new land, a new people, and a new me.

Thursday, August 19, 2004

One week anniversary

Well it has been one week now and here is what I have accomplished. Hours ago I rode on a minivan bus that will take you anywhere for five pounds (ten cents), and also earlier had a near miss with a nice Mercedes in a tiny little taxi. This morning I ate at Batata (potatoe), which is the Syrian McDonalds, and met a girl that lived in the US for three years. She gave me a gift, I gave her a high-five (plus I think she was sweet on me). Last night I found an amazing apartment in the downtown area that I will move into shortly. I have met or seen resumes of all the Syrians that will be working at the school (I'm conviced you have to be a Super Model to apply...no shit). I've been losing a battle to microbes in the Levant, but think the tides are soon to turn. For the past many days I have learned taxi directions, money, please and thank you's (momma done raised me right), as well as numbers, greetings, and a few random words like cat and diarreah (two things common to Syria). All in all I am very pleased with the wonderful people, the rich food, and the knowledge that I am being watched all over the country (eyes and ears are everywhere hear)- it's SORT of comforting...

1 Comments:

  • At 5/18/2005 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    am magdy sharshafji the owner and managing partner of batata am glad u liked the place and we ll be happy to see u again .

     

Post a Comment

<< Home