My life in Syria

My journey to a new land, a new people, and a new me.

Saturday, February 26, 2005

I coulda' been there!

If any of my friends and readers have been watching the news the past week, you would've seen the ex-PM of Lebannon bombed by an unknown source. On a side note, that bombing was about two hundreed yards from where we were staying in Beirut. We even joked about being blown up at the Mc Donalds down the street. I guess they have more to worry about than we do these days if they are getting hit and not us. There is a lot of rumbling in the media about Syria, and I must say that the bombing was most deffinitely not done with Syrian backing or knowledge. They had nothing to gain and everything to lose. The intelligence head lost his job over it, and now it looks as though Syria is going to pull it's troops out for situational damage control. I gauruntee that Syria doesn't want to pull troops and she deffinitely didn't want Hariri gone - he was one of the few that had a good dialogue with Damascus. Politics aside, it is wierd to think I could have been blown up in Beirut had my timing been wrong. I guess it really can happen anywhere these days. It just happened in Tel Aviv yesterday by an unknown source that doesn't want peace between Israel and Lebannon. It happens in the US by militants and crazies, in Europe and Asia by "terrorists"; hell gangers shoot each other up daily!

On a lighter note my week was same as ever. I have been holding parent meetings for the past two weeks, and most of my parents have come. Parents of the most behaviorally challenged boys have been grateful, say they have seen improvement, and wish me to continue whatever I can do to reign-in their wild children. Some of the parents think their child is a misunderstood angel unable to commit any classroom crimes. Some don't know what there kids do, and a few didn't come at all. Mostly I feel I am doing the right thing with these kids trying to teach them to work more independently and understand classroom behavior. I guess teaching the rich anywhere will come with its unique challenges.

The funny thing about these kids is they act the same as inner-city kids. They have no idea about boundries and are very self serving. I guess there isn't much difference between having poor parents that set no boundaries, and rich parents that do the same. All I have learned from this experience is children need boundries, rules, and guidence to go along with the fun, love and affection a parent can give. If you are just a friend to your child your aren't teaching them anything. Kids don't need "yes-men" the need parents! Also, my experience has solidified my view that Middle School teachers have the hardest jobs. I think High School is easy, and Elementary School is challenging and fun, but Middle School kids are little shits. They are hormonal cesspools, and have enough intelligence to be annoyingly defiant. I feel for every Middle School teacher in the world. Good luck to all of you!

I had an interesting time with my friend Hratch two nights ago. He took me to what he thought was a "Jazz Concert" that turned out to be "Elevator music from Hell!" It featured three of the most talented musicians in town, maybe the country (two of whom I have met), and two other random people that sang wanna-be love songs, and had cheesy dancing and video footage in the background. It was so 'high school film project' I wanted to puke. They had nice voices but I could have played the piano, guitar, or drums for every piece. Those guys must have owed someone a favor 'cause it was really demeaning for them to be there...and you could see it on their faces. They looked sooooo bored. At one point one of the guys we were sitting with was yelling and cheering for the drummer on the bongos who was literally just tapping out a 4/4 beat. Everyone started laughing - I think everyone else came expecting jazz as well. Needless to say we left before intermission ever came. I wanted JAZZ!

Chris came back from London last night. It was nice to have him back. I have been so bored the past two weeks without anyone to have an intelligent conversation. I have read, planned for school, cleaned the house, daydreamed, slept, eaten out, daydreamed, slept, bought stuff, slept, graded homework, daydreamed. I have been REALLY bored. Since he came back last night we have gotten back into the daily rountine of watching world news, talking politics, listening to music and playing guitars. I love you man...

Well not much else to write for this week. I think next week we are going to Damascus so I can get some nice gifts to bring home. I have decided to come home for Anthony and Alexis' wedding. I should be back around the 23rd of March. Actually I am going to find the tickets in a few minutes. I look forward to seeing all my friends and bringing you gifts from the Levant. Let me know if you want anything special!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home