My life in Syria

My journey to a new land, a new people, and a new me.

Saturday, November 06, 2004

Stay the Course!

I think I will take Bush's decision and stay the course...four more years in Syria that is. If only American's realized how much everyone outside of the US hates Bush. It was even more evident after the election as I was watching everyone ask him what he will do with the supreme court openings (ignored that question), how he will make friends with the Democrats ("he has a plan" - to let Haliburton rebuild the ties between both parties for a small fee). Every interview on Euronews, BBCWorld, BBCPrime and Deutchesworld were just going on about how Bush now has a free ticket. The funniest thing about this election was that Al-Jazeera of all stations had the best coverage. The arab world has the most to lose from this. His three million religious right showed up to vote, but the near 150 million other people that could have voted didn't. HMMM - gotta love the disenfranchised voter. Now because the lowest majority didn't vote, the minority of the right once again is in power. I must say now America DESERVES all that everyone says about it's politics and practices. The last four years were stolen, the next four are on the conscience of the US populace. Hope all goes well...

I'm done talking politics for four years...I couldn't vote.

Life in Aleppo is going on. Chris and I play Football(Soccer) once a week, and Volleyball(Volleyball) on Thursdays. In between we still have two Arabic lessons. I am becoming quite a good speller. My new challenges are to have my lessons planned through Christmas(adjustable of course), visit Crac and Palmyra before Christmas, get my damn visa before Christmas, and figure out where I want to go FOR Christmas!

Nothing else is new. I played jammed on guitars with my friend Hratch last night until about two in the morning, and am searching for nich-nacks for Christmas, Birthday, and wedding gifts. Please make your suggestions cause I can find it all. St. Marks needs an Argeillay (SP?). Basically a giant hooka that is filled with apple flavored tobacco and puffed. Nice mellow buzz. I am looking for gifts for my friends tastes. Textiles for my sewers and knitters. Coffee paraphanalia for my coffee drinkers. I know all of the secrects of making Turkish/Arabic coffee. I have been complemented on my abilities by the locals. I learn quick.

Another interesting thing about being here now, besides the election, is that the Arafat is about to kick the bucket. What a time to be in the Middle East!

Hope everyone is well. I will soon go in for another Hammam and will let everyone know how wonderful it is...again!

Love and miss everyone. XOXOXOX

2 Comments:

  • At 11/08/2004 9:16 PM, Blogger Trish said…

    a lot of us are disappionted by the election results. as i watched the numbers grow closer together i wondered where were all the angry people who were protesting 4 years earlier. i thought for sure that we were the majority. oh well, i agree with you that america gets what it deserves. sam will tell you that every great empire of history has fallen.

     
  • At 11/09/2004 3:53 AM, Blogger Ayman Haykal said…

    Yes everybody here in Syria was disappointed. An editorial in the Lebanese daily as-Safir summarized the feelings of people in this part of the world: "To the shelters, it's Bush."

    Thank you for a great blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home