My life in Syria

My journey to a new land, a new people, and a new me.

Friday, August 27, 2004

The peace process...

I have an inkling of how the peace process in Iraq is working. There is the US trying to work with leaders to resolve conflict and solve problems. The west is working in a fasion that you come to an agreement and what you agree upon gets accomplished. The east is working in a system of fealty where nothing gets done when it is said, the leaders have the power and don't want to let any of it go, if you work for or with someone you are under THEIR fealty and things get done when THEY decide it is needed.

I have been here for over two weeks and have been consistently lied to about our apartment, the status of our contract, moneys that have been paid, keys obtained. Last night Chris and I were so mad we called the realtor, found the woman who owns the apartment and thought we were getting the keys...nada. Nothing had been done and we then expressed our frustration and anger about the situation to her and she understood. We now are requesting our living allowance up front to take care of matters ourselves. Within two weeks I know enough people, language, and location to do this on my own. I don't need a fuedal lord. I like to make waves.

With this aside we had a wonderful time with some locals playing Fussball for an hour or so, went to a store and bartered for a chess board, and then went to a cafe to play chess and drink coffee. If it wasn't for the BS the place would be the coolest town I have lived in. Just today we were flagged down by a man that we met previously and he gave us a ride to the internet cafe on his way to church. People here are so kind and happy. I can't say it enough.

Oh, and for you girls out here that have heard soooo much about how beautiful women are I can honestly say that the guys here are just as good looking. AND they hold hands!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home