My life in Syria

My journey to a new land, a new people, and a new me.

Friday, September 10, 2004

Deep thoughts by Ahmed Hamdy

Sitting around my nice new flat, watching satellite TV, I realized that I really like rap from foreign languages. I have NO clue what they are saying! They can be rapping about cars, girls, hard times, gangs, love, milking a cow; who the heck knows? NOT ME, and I like it that way. Knowing what is being said is distracting if you just want to bob your head to a beat. There you are, on the stoop, drinkin' a forty, listening to some phat beats and SCREEEEECH; "what did he just say about the gentrification of the social classes in suburban Romania?" It ruins the whole experience of just being in the moment. Not with World Rap!!!!

Thats right for 3 installments of 19.99 you can have the best compilation of rap you DON'T understand! Jamaican, Polish, Libyan, Korean; it's all here! Tired of that same old party where everyone knows the words? With World Rap you can equalize the language barrier! No longer do you have to talk to that hot Swedish girl through your Spanish, a friends Portugese, and her cousins German! You can speak the language of World Rap, and later, the language of love!

So I finally have an apartment, and today we put food in the cupboards. PS, when making Arabic coffee don't leave the boiling carrafe unattended lest you want to clean-up scolding coffee goo. One cool thing about our apartment is satellite TV. Now I know many of you have digital cable or DirecTv, and Tivo, but with the old fasion satellite you can get illegal cards with nifty little codes that decode everything (sorry capitalists). Oh and did I mention it was a dollar!

Having no copyright laws is great! Music...free. Programs...free. Knock-offs...not free but pretty damn good. We have been watching BBC World and German TV. Once we get a card I will let you know what else. Hope all is well back in the first world. My love.

1 Comments:

  • At 9/11/2004 3:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love the fact that your in a country that is pretty much forbiden to most normal westerners and all you can talk about is satalite tv and the sweet knock-offs you can get. How quickly you regresed from bi-curious middle-eastern bath house excapades to bling bling rap from north africa. how long before your fantasy football league starts?
    love
    Jack-ass

     

Post a Comment

<< Home