My life in Syria

My journey to a new land, a new people, and a new me.

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

The Hand of God

It is interesting how different cultures maneuver through traffic as pedestrians. In the US drivers generally follow rules and, depending on the state and city, the pedestrians usually follow a few of thier own. For instance, in Denver, CO I could drive between people just entering a crosswalk from both sides and they would expect me to do so. In fact, I have become angry at people that slowed down as I was timing traffic to cross - crossing traffic is an art form. In Portland, OR I was given the finger many times for this maneuver since the pedestrians have the right-of-way. Actually, in Oregon if someone is STEPPING into the crosswalk as you are approaching it you legally must yield to the walker.

All things considered I am truly in awe of how big the balls are in Syria when it comes to crossing traffic. One word...FROGGER. Everyone remembers this wonderfull retro game that involved hoping a small frog across a busy, multi-laned street all-the-while dogding amazingly diferent traffic. Little did I know that so many hours of my youth had been training me to survive where I now reside.

Last night walking back from the Souk, Chris and I witnessed a move that was both impressive, couragious, and downright idiotic. Imagine, if you can, a small woman in full black coverings, gloves, and Hijab crossing against raging traffic and just stepping in front of a speeding taxi like a cop with a nine and a badge. Except the only thing she had was what we have dubbed "the hand of God." It is so named because we discerned either it was God's will for the taxi not to smush her like a little green frog, or she was prepared to meet her maker and just going for it. Either way, God was involved, and she just put up the universal sign for halt. As you already know she lived (I wouldn't tell this story the same way had she been smushed) and Chris and I gained a new 'technique' for crossing traffic. If all else fails just put up the "Hand of God."

On a different note, I will either die a miserable death from some random little bug floating around here, or my immune system will by so strong the should be able to cure diseases with my blood! Yes I am sick again. I have recently met up with my long lost friend "solid poo" and am in good spirits. I have also met a new friend "snotty nose" and we aren't getting along so well right now. I guess everyone gets sick in a new country and, oh, lucky me, I also get to have a new school as well. How many things CAN I throw at my imune system? To the Bat Cave!

The kids are settled down a little this week but still amazingly wired. A nice combination of poor planning (on my and the schools part), being spoiled and rich (not on my part), and also it is the fourth full day of school. I am going to give them the hand of God and see what happens.

On a political note, Kofi Anan's opening speech to the UN tonight was dead on. We don't have any satellite hookups yet so at least we get BBC World. I miss watching football, but some of the political stuff on tv here you just don't get anywhere in the world. Think of everything that you see on our tv, now imagine you are watching the other side. It is wierd to watch the arab prospective on the war, Palestine, and American politics. I wish everyone I know could have the conversations I have had. I find myself truly representing the middle when I have to explain to people the politics in our country. Lucky for me we are pretty split on issues, it makes the conversations so much easier "so half of the people agree with this and the other half don't.." I have had to explain the Electoral College (I still don't know why we still have this), the popular vote, states rights, how much our federal government spends on things, commonly held Republican, Democrat, and Independant views. Good thing I know history and politics or I would be screwed.

Another amazing experience is living with a Brit, and working with Canadians. Now I understand each country better, and we talk all the time about politics, religion and culture. Our cultures are so close but so different at the same time. They don't understand how we don't have health care and have to pay for our education, and I don't understand the use of a Constitutional Monarchy, and how Canada can still be relating to the Queen of England. It's fun...we play poker.

I can honestly say that when I get paid again next week I am going in for another Hammam. And Marc, I am not coming back fat and hairy so you can get a free rub-down - I am coming back trim and hairy so I can get the free rub-down ;)

2 Comments:

  • At 9/23/2004 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are suppose to stop for all pedestrians in crosswalks in Colorado, too.
    Not go around them, but stop!

     
  • At 9/26/2004 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HA-HA... my name is finally on a blog on the internet! I can die a happy man! If you missed it just check the last paragraph, my name is all up on that piece. WOO-HOO!!!! -Marc (of course)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home