My life in Syria

My journey to a new land, a new people, and a new me.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Houston...We Have a Problem

If I ever thought it was possible for anything to be easy in this country I must have been dreaming or high. Once again we are in a melee of problems and inneptitude of the school, it's owners, and affiliates. In typical NSA fasion we were mistakenly shown a very nice new apartment to live in for next year. It is blatantly obvious that this place it off limits. It took one week to get a commitment to see this sanctuary again, and even still we won't actually know if this will happen or not until this evening. Our adoration for this new nook only comes with such fervor after our attempts of seeing it again, and/or moving in, have been sideswiped by a futile attempt to put us into another one of the school's classic "shithole" aparments.

In the past few days we have looked at every rat-trap apartment that "Friends of NSA" own, lease, or knows someone who does the same. After much arguing, and generally trying to be a pain the ass we have earned an apointment to see this castle with an actualy key to get in - BONUS! I swear if we don't get into this apartment I will make everyone involved's life a living hell until I am either deported or my last bag is put away into my new abode. I am tired of the run-around.

On a special note: To Syrian Salma about teaching her people English
I think it is the only thing you can do here to affect change. The literacy rate for Arabic isn't amazingly high, and if you can teach anyone the business language of the world (English)at least they will have a chance at being informed. Even for me to be informed at a world level in Syria I must read at least five different sources. I don't know that all of these sources are available in Arabic so mostly people here, like people at home, get their news from one biased source and in their native language. And another thing, if you do come to teach try to teach from the top down because this isn't a place where change happens from the bottom up. I would love to know more about you and your ideas. Please email me at chrisinsyria@hotmail.com. I would love to hear your point of view on a few things.

OK kids I am coming home. I don't know exactly when (I don't have return tickets, a place to live for next year, or a contract for next year yet) but I should be home in a matter of a few days to a few weeks. I plan on sleeping in, hanging out, playing, and generally doing nothing, unless you have a project to do in which case I would love to help becuase I havn't gotten to build or fix anything all year.

If you are wondering I also plan to keep blogging from home this summer just in case there are any mind-opening realizations I have concerning the US and the Middle East, Syrian and American society, dating, food, or just about any other thing I can think of that is a complete opposite or exactly the same.

4 Comments:

  • At 6/26/2005 8:38 PM, Blogger Trish said…

    looking forward to your return and if you need a place to crash, you are always welcome at 17th. also, if you are looking for handyman type projects, i'm sure we can accomodate you!

     
  • At 6/28/2005 5:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    can you say our truck! dad put on a new king pin on the driver side ....that one was completely boken in two..... the passenger side plus ball joints and that truck will be sweet to drive again!!!!
    if you like hammoks we've got one in the garden!
    xxoojennyt

     
  • At 8/09/2005 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Chris.
    My name is Yassir and am a syrian,I am new to the blog land and I found your blog yesterday so i started reading it from the begining and I noticed that you started with high spirit and maybe high expectations and gradually became sad and gloomy.
    you said once that you were going to Damascus but you didn`t write about that trip.
    wish u all the luck and hope that you had a good opinion about Syrians and Arabs in general

    Damascus
    08/08/2005

     
  • At 8/10/2005 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, I understand we missed each other this summer, and there is rumor you might come to our part of the Middle East. So, as there were no posts, as promissed, and we have heard nothing, how about an update?
    Alex

     

Post a Comment

<< Home