My life in Syria

My journey to a new land, a new people, and a new me.

Friday, August 12, 2005

Writer's Block

Whew...good thing I took the last couple of months off to let my carpel-tunnel syndrome heal. You know I write so much...

After many emails asking for emails I am submitting my summer fun in written form. Upon arrival home I met up with most of my friends within a matter of days. I initially stayed at my brother's house, and then my mother's house, and then a night at Trish's house, and Victor's house, etc. I missed my family very much, and I didn't realize how much until I came home. A second realization of how much I love my family came during my week in Flagstaff, AZ where the whole "Brothers" side of the family had a full-on reunion. "Full-on" meaning lots of drinking, talking (verbal sparring really), discussing past and future, playing with the little ones, eating at the "singin' sirloin" and generally reconnecting. Family reunions are great.

So far this summer I have thrift shopped a few hundred books for the kids and teachers at school, built a huge pseudo recycled fence for my mom (will finish tomorrow), stocked up on a few new toys, bought gifts for friends, and hit golf balls. I've actually played twice this summer with my mother and her golfing buddies. All I can say is that I really suck at putting, but I can crush the long ball. Thanks for the putting tips Uncle Tony, I tried them out the other day and my putting improved ten fold.

In my last weeks before I return to Syria I am going to San Fran for a few days, and hopefully get to spend some more time with my brother and friends in town. All in all I have had a great summer and in many ways I am looking forward to starting the new year. Isn't it funny how students and teachers always count the "year" by when school starts and ends? What's the rest of the "year" called? I guess it doesn't count, or maybe I'll just call it "free time." Like when you are a little kid in class and you finish all your work you get "free time." I love free time.

I hope all of my friends and companions are having a wonderful summer. Chris you are a lazy slag and I hope you choke on your posh London pad. Cheers buddy! Hey with CAFTA being pushed through I can get you cheap Indian rugs and trinkets too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home